Tucson Half Marathon Race Report

Tucson Half Marathon

Great way to end the 2012 season - PR!!!!  After Top of Utah 26.2, I took some needed 'easy' training which didn't leave much time for a nice build/specific training for this race.  Went into this race with these goals:

  • #1 'make it hurt' and pace the race smart
  • A+ goal Sub 1:30



Pre-race they bused us up to the start line.  We had about an hour and a half to kill so I stood with everyone around the warmers.  I wanted to get in a 10-15 minute warm-up; but it was pitch black.  I seem to trip very easily as of late, so I decided it was not worth the risk:) I did do a bunch of drills



This is a smaller race – 1219 finishers for the half, so it was fun to get to start up front with the fast runners. Teresa and I decided the first 3 miles I'd keep my HR in zone 4 and then go for it! With that in mind I took off. 



Miles 1-5 Lose most your elevation in these miles. I felt wonderful, never felt like I was overworking it, and legs were turning over quick!

6:45, 6:42, 6:44, 6:39, 6:45(Took Gel)










Miles 6-10 still losing elevation but with some ups (These don't seem significant when you are driving the course but running it you feel the up’s) I always write BTM on my hand before a race but a running friend who's been helping me had told me to write FOCUS and that every time I looked at it he would be pushing me. I looked at that word a lot throughout these miles and kept telling myself not to let the pace slow.   


6:37(New 10K PR), 6:47, 6:54(little climb here, at top I remember this was where legs started to hurt) 6:52, 6:51


Miles 11 – 13.1 only significant climbs on the course in these miles.  Saw my dad right before mile 11 was was a great boost!! The climb behind the mall looks daunting; but pump the arms and lift the knees and you get up it quick. Last stretch to finish line is on an incline as well.

6:45 (took ½ Gel to get ready for climb) 7:04 (Hill), 6:49, 6:09 


1:28:54

6:47 avg pace

173 avg HR

**Didn’t end up taking in any liquids… I was worried if I slowed to drink I’d have a hard time getting back into the pace I was running.  It was cool enough and I had taken Hammer Electrolytes tables the week prior 






After the race I saw Hillary and talked to her for a minute. 
Super freaking nice person and full of energy – love that!







Couple race details:
-         They ran out of small shirts so I’d hit the expo early.
-         Take one of the last buses so you are not waiting around for so long
-         Awesome volunteers!  
-         Not huge support on the course from the public if that is your sort of thing… it is beautiful though
-         Bit of a traffic mess after the race...police were unsure which roads were closed/etc… I wouldn’t park at the school
-         Take the drive to the top of Mt Lemmon… beautiful up there!





The body and mind continues to amaze me and I plan on continuing to push it!!!! 


Already 22 weeks out from STG 70.3!!!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers