River Rampage Race Recap


Green River Rampage Olympic Tri
Race Recap


Pre-Race
Woke up, breakfast, coffee, left.

Half way to the race start I realized I had forgotten my helmet! Crap. As soon as we pulled up I saw a nice looking couple and ask them if they had an extra…. Turns out at that moment my Life Savor, Stephan, was deciding between regular or Aero helmet – I made his decision easy :)



 


Checked in and transition set up
**Side note, LOVE this race company.  Super organized with everything. You have assigned spots, with a nice name tag, and underneath your name it reads the reason you ‘Tri’.  Mine said to 'Build The Machine'

Warmed up:
15 minute run with 4, 30 sec. strides
15 minute bike with accelerations





Drove upstream to race start – Made friends with the couple that lent me the helmet who were super nice.  Learned he had completed several Ironman’s with great times.   

You have about a ¾ mile walk through corn fields to get to the start.  This walk really calmed my nerves.  At the start, I jumped in for a quick 5 min. warm-up swim.  The water was SO hot… think 73-75 so I decided to go without the wetsuit. 


Swim
1.10 Mile
20:36
--Took a ½ gel pre race
--Started in the 2nd row

We didn’t have to tread water because the water level was so low everyone was standing. Start was like any other swim start: head kicking, smacks, until each of us could get into our groove. Felt pretty great the whole time.  I focused on quick arm turnover and keeping my legs straight and high up in the water.  For all but 1 section, this was  a straight shot swim, so spotting was not an issue.  Throughout the swim I saw several people just walking because the water was so low.  I am not counting this is a swim PR because there was a current.  It seemed like I was not in the water for more than 5 minutes before I saw the red swim exit signs.  I should have been pushing harder throughout the swim because my breathing was just 'normal' when I got out.    

T1
1:29
First ever transition that went so smooth – I did everything in the order I had mentally practiced.  Shoes (No socks)> Garmin > Race belt > Helmet > Glasses > GO

Bike PR
25 Miles
1:10:43
21.2mph

Teresa had told me to make sure I stay in race mode and that is what I did on the bike.  I was most happy with my performance on the bike.  I never stopped pushing.  Course was relatively flat with 2 main climbs. Can I tell you how good it feels to pass men with their gorgeous bikes, and super fancy helmets, and loud tires? :)  Having the fast men and this one super fast girl really pushed my inner competitor on the course. 

-I had been working on passing this one man; once I finally did I took a wrong turn and went about .25 off course. Whoops!
-I need to practice turning around cones.  There were 2 cones on this course to turn around and I about fell over on both of them 
-Stayed in aero 95% of the time
-2.5 Gels: 1 at start, 1 30 minutes in, and ½ a gel at 1 hour
-1 Bottle with Poweraid Zero and 3 scoops of IP Perform throughout the ride
**Could have used ½ another bottle of just water



T2
2:15
Smooth transition as well.  Bike stuff off, grabbed visor and 1 gel.











Run PR :)
46:52
7:48pace (7:44, 7:47, 7:50, 7:43, 7:53, 7:44)

I was a little disappointed with this run.  I wanted to sub 45 – the 90 degree heat killed me.  My legs never felt super heavy from the bike I just felt like I was sweating to death.  The run was cross country style 2-loop which I have never ran on a course of that type before.  I thought I was going to like running on the grass but I was not a fan.  I wore my Brooks Pure Connect which I love on the pavement but the uneven terrain and wet ground was not meant for these shoes.  About ½ way through the run, a blister started on the bottom of my foot from the water and mud getting into my shoe.  Each aid station I took 2 cups of water, drank 1 and 1 went over my head.  Took in 1 gel, 1/2 at the beginning and 1/2 at mile 4.  




 A buff 51 years young woman took first female with 2:12.  I hope I am like her at that age. Top male, BJ Christensen (1:54) is a freaking rock-star.  My dad and I ran into him at the gas station after the race... such a down to earth, nice guy. Since my opinion matters to him, I think he should turn pro. :)



My Results:
2:57:37 > Lake Powell Oly October 2011


2:21:57 > 36 min PR!:)
1/10 Age Group
4/73 Female
18/161 Overall





....Lake Stevens 13 days!










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers