Race Report - Crandall Canyon Half



Back in 2007 the Crandall Canyon mine in Utah trapped six miners and then 10 days later collapsed a second time killing 3 rescuers.  This race was in their memory.  VERY fast down-hill course and is the highest ½ marathon in Utah starting just under 9000 feel elevation.  (Can you say lack of oxygen???)




I could not sleep ALL NIGHT – nerves were killing me.  Not nerves to run the race, nerves to run the race pain free.  Woke up around 4:30am, dressed, ate my banana, headed out the door.  30Min drive to packet pick-up.  This was a smaller community race – still a lot of positive energy.  Buss's left right on time for the ride up the canyon.  (Funny side note: 3 buss's full of runners: 75% of the buss's full of 10K’ers & 5K’ers, and about 15-20 people running the ½ marathon)
(These photos do not do the canyon justice of its B-E-A-Utifulness)




As we started our incline up the canyon it was getting cooler and cooler.  This made me smile.  We reach the top and see this>>>>> 



 By the time we get to the top almost all of us had to pee.   

Quick pee and to the race line we go. 
  • Mile 1 8:47
The second we took off I could feel the pain in my groin.  Major negative thoughts running through my head – I knew from this point unless I stopped and gave up: this would be a mental challenge race/ not a physical one.      

  • Mile 2 8:17
Came around to electric lake.  Started practicing my mantras.  Breathed in the cool, crisp air, and smiled.  (Until I caught a bunch of mosquitoes in my mouth – note to self, when doing a race in the mountains, bring bug spray :D)  

Mile 3 8:39
 
Decided to slow down my pace.  Pain was not hurting ‘as bad.’

Mile 4 8:45
Contemplated giving up here. I have NEVER EVER stopped running on a LR until I am finished – well shit, first time for everything.  Walked for about 20 seconds, and then started back up.  I just kept telling myself, you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to.  Mind over matter.  

Mile 5 9:18
Mile 6 9:36
Mile 7 9:58
Mile 8 10:11
Mile 9 10:32
How about those speed splits! UGhhhh I was getting so upset with myself.  I kept getting passed.  Probably shed a few tears. My pace continued to drop.  The pain continued to kill. People kept saying ‘you can do this’ – (THIS SOUNDS MEAN I KNOW) but I wanted to scream at them I KNOW I CAN or I wouldn’t be running.   

Mile 10 9:25
Mile 10 I realized this negative talk was not helping.  I took out my ear phones.  Tuned into the river and rhythm of my shoe hitting the ground.  Swallowed a GU and took off.
Hows this for a constipated look? HA

Mile 11 9:41
Mile 12 9:25
Mile 13 9:34
Mile 0.10 8:01           
Seeing the finish line was probably the happiest moment of my life – well not really; but I was so relieved to get off my leg.  Such a bitter sweat feeling.  I had the ‘runners high’ I always get; but I was so frustrated with my time and with my body.  I want it to reward me with the hard work I put into it; not let me down. 




-So for me, it is back to swimming, water jogging, cross training, ice baths, and foam rolling until my body decides to grace me with its running abilities once again. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers